Monday, September 14, 2009

Communication Assignment 1

6 comments:

  1. Interview Summary
    Interviewee: Stephanie Loehr, 24 years old,
    First year Graduate student in Department of Plant Pathology
    Where: Office
    Date: 09/14/2009

    a.She had a conversation with an unknown girl at the bus stop when she was waiting the late bus. She started talking by saying”oh, man, I wish I got my umbrella” because it was about to rain.

    b. It depends on the situation. She will shake hands if she was introduced to someone by a friend, or had a work relationship with someone. But if she meets someone in a class first time, or just introduces herself, it probably not necessary to shake hands.
    c. No, she never say “How do you do”, because she thinks it sounds funny and so formal. She will use “hey, what’s up” or “how are you?” that seems more common here.

    d. Probably because the person is important

    e. She would likely to begin a conversation in a public place, such as waiting for the bus, and waiting in the line. When she has nothing to do at hand, it is also a good time to talk to someone she doesn’t know.
    f. She might talk about something interesting or useful in previous class, such as asking the note or worksheet, anyway, something in common in the class. Others are like “what other classes are you taking?” and “what’s your major?”

    For myself, I think I don’t likely start a conversation with a person I didn’t know. But if I have to ask for help like asking directions, or under some situation such as cooperating with partners in workshops, clubs, and field trips. I might strike up a conversation as well if I were really attracted and interested in what they are doing or what they have. For example, I like playing GO game, which is a kind of chess board game in Asia. Some day in this summer, I found some guys were playing it downstairs in the HUB, so I stopped by and said ”hi guys, are you playing GO games. It’s so cool. May I join in?” Then, we talked about the game and played together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Bin!!
    It's a good interview. Actually, it's very hard hard for me to talk to people I don't know like you. But when I faces situation which I have to talk or break ice, I have to first such as you. I know it was not easy to make an interview with some you didn't know well. But you did it and got great interview. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could learned from your interview that weather is very useful as the first topic to talk with other people. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good interview. I really like your summary and I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bin, I think it will be better is you put your answer with the video not in the comment area. BTW, you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! The guy you talked with seems to be extrovert. Some results from your interview are similar to mine. For example, this girl seldom use "how do you do?" because this expression is too formal in her opinion.

    ReplyDelete